Periodontal health affects your overall health and well-being greatly. Caring for your gums is just as important as caring and maintaining the brightness of your teeth. If you want healthy a healthy mouth, having healthy gums is a must. Learning how to take proper care of your periodontal health and prevent periodontitis in between regular visits to your dentist in Albuquerque, NM, Dr. Petra Mayer, is immensely crucial.
What Can You Do to Care of Your Gums?
Plaque, a soft and sticky film that accumulates in your mouth, is what causes gum disease as it is loaded with bacteria. The bacteria could infect gum and bone, which could then lead to tooth decay. Gum disease could cause tooth loss and could also heighten the risk of you getting heart disease, diabetes, or dementia. Luckily, gum disease is certainly preventable. The following are simple ways and actions you could take to maintain healthy gums:
- Floss every day. This should be done at least once a day. Flossing helps clean the hard-to-reach areas between teeth where leftover food and plaque are.
- Brush your teeth twice daily. Brushing rids your teeth of the leftover food debris from meals you have eaten, along with nasty plaque. Don’t forget to scrub your tongue too, as it contains loads of bacteria as well.
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking tobacco could lead to the outset of gum disease. Moreover, smoking damages your immune system, making it more difficult for you to battle a gum infection.
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste. Fluoride has been proven to be effective in preventing gingivitis, strengthening teeth, and giving you fresh breath.
- Gargle with therapeutic mouthwash. They are typically available over the counter. Rinsing with therapeutic mouthwash could aid in the prevention of plaque accumulation, gingivitis, and periodontitis.
- See your dentist in Albuquerque, NM, regularly. Schedule visits with your dentist at least twice every year for professional cleanings and checkups. It is important not just for your gums, but also for your overall oral health. Furthermore, your dentist could spot any initial signs of gum disease and prevent it from progressing any further.
How Can You Tell if Your Gums Are Unhealthy?
You must be aware of the signs and symptoms of gum disease to hinder its progression. It usually starts with minor symptoms; nevertheless, it could still develop in time if left untreated. The following are common signs that your gums are in bad condition:
- They are puffy and red
- They’re bleeding
- You have chronic bad breath
- There is pus present in your teeth and gumline
- Your teeth are loose
- They have receded
Need More Advice on Your Periodontal Health? We Can Help
Keep gum problems like periodontitis away by calling (505) 881-2400 to arrange an evaluation with your dentist Dr. Petra Mayer, here at Petra I. Mayer, DDS, in Albuquerque, NM.